TheBalm Hot Mama Shadow/Blush

sobota, december 05, 2015


Hot Mama holds a special status among theBalm fans (reviews on Makeup Alley). It's often described as a dupe for Nars' Orgasm, but I disagree and you'll see swatches bellow which confirm that. Hot Mama is a much more unique shade and dare I say even prettier, actually it's one of my favourite blushes I got recently and I ended up wearing it a lot. 


It might surprise you how gold it looks in the pan. There is a considerable amount of gold sheen in this, much like in Nars' version, but compared to that one Hot Mama is a lot more coral. In fact, I'd compare it more to Benefit's Coralista, however, it is already a bit more pink. The sheen gives you that healthy glow on the cheek, so it's like a mix of a highlighter and blush in one (it's described as a highlighter + blush in one and I agree. Actually it's almost like Mary-Lou Manizer was added to the blush). If you have a warm skin tone you'll love this shade. I actually like it more than their Frat Boy because I've always been a fan of Coralista and this is very close. They describe it as a blush and eyeshadow, but I wouldn't wear this on the lids because such shades around the eyes would make me look ill, but it would probably work on someone with green or hazel eyes.

L'Oreal's Color Riche in Laetitia on the lips as a stain.

The formula excellent, it's pretty much a standard high end blush and it also performs that way. It's nicely pigmented, blends well and lasts so well on the cheeks (I wore it with another blush on the other side and this one lasted so much longer that that drugstore one, basically until the day was over). You get a very nice blush in this one.


The packaging is cardboard and it also has a mirror, though it is small. It has a retro inspired image on the front which you either like or you don't, I fit in the "it doesn't appeal to me" camp.


I'm a fan of this blush. Everything that looks like Coralista is my jam and this is a slightly pinkier version, but with the same awesome gold sheen. The quality is excellent, especially the staying power, so I'm impressed. But it is a blush that is very warm and I'm not sure if it will work for cool skin tones, even I sometimes feel it's too golden if I wear a foundation with a pink undertones. If your skin tone is warm this will look awesome on you. It costs a bit over 19 € in Müller.

Have a great day!

You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. Zelo lep odtenek :) Pa še shiny je. Ni slabo. Lepo ti paše :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Ko sem ga dobila sem takoj pomislila nate, sploh ker je zlat shimmer notri :) Hvala :)

      Izbriši
  2. I love this blush. But it is summer blush for me. I was wearing it almost 4 months in a row ;) It is in my Top 5 blush collection :D

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yes, it's more of a summery blush, like Coralista, though I enjoy the glowy/shimmery finish now in December :)

      Izbriši
  3. Dammnit, woman! Just when I convinced myself I don't need this blush... here you are. I thought Orgasm was pretty, but coral is much more my style. Yeps, I might need this. Great review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Sorry :D I used to love Nars' version, still do, but I prefer something more coral too :) Thank you :)

      Izbriši
  4. Gorgeous shade. You are right about it suiting warmer skin tones more, though it certainly complements you too.
    http://idareagain.blogspot.com/

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I'm neutral so I can pull it off :) But it's very golden :)

      Izbriši
  5. Yes, it looks similar to Benefit's coralista, Nars looks more apricot-like. I really liked the look of this blush. Perfect for a warm-toned skin like me. I hate the front packaging though and i would detest keeping it in my stash.

    Chaste & Beautiful

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Nars is the pinkest in the bunch, not really apricot, at least not on my skin. Hot Mama sounds great for you considering you have a warm skin tone :).
      You're so right, the packaging really isn't the prettiest.

      Izbriši
  6. Ne vem zakaj sem vedno mislila, da mi Nars Orgasm ne bi bil všeč, ampak glede na tvoje swatche pa izgleda še najbolj kot ''moj'' odtenek :)
    Morem pa še tega enkrat poswatchat v trgovini, zadnjič ko sem ga na hitro mi je bil čisto meh odtenek.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Najbolj roza je od teh peachy-pink odtenkov. Včasih sem ga nosila vsak dan :)

      Pri tistih lučeh v Müllerju te itak vse mine. Verjetno ne bi nikoli nič kupila, če ne bi bilo swatchev na netu :).

      Izbriši
  7. I have to tell you that our tastes are very similar and when I want to check out swatches, I always check your blog.

    We also have similar skin (fair skin although yours might be a tad fairer -lol) and I also have green eyes (although yours are starker and definitely more impressive!).

    So, I wanted to tell you to definitely try the wet n wild exit stage left blush if you can find it, because it has the nars orgasm hues, only it it is definitely more coral-peach!it also has the golden shimmer inside*also nars orgasm x is impressive (more than the original orgasm), however if you get the wet n wild one, you don't really need both

    Finally, the revlon photo ready insta blush 'rose gold kiss' is a sheer stick blush that seems similar to the orgasm one, however, I have not tried it yet.It, also seems more coral-goldish than the rosy-coral gold orgasm.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I'm glad you find my swatches helpful :) My eyes are actually grey and I don't know why the camera picked them up green-ish here, as they are quite bland in real life.

      I had Wet n' Wild's blush in Apri-Cot in the Middle, which has the loveliest shimmer, but it's too orange for my taste. Exit Stage looks like a LE? Impossible to get then. I just repurchased Nars' Orgasm and I bought the new Benefit Shellie blush, which is very similar to Coralista and Hot Mama. I also got Colourpop Blush Stick in More is More, which is a peachy pink with golden shimmer. That Revlon blush isn't sold here anymore.

      Izbriši

TRANSLATE