Wet n Wild MegaLast Lip Color

sreda, marec 16, 2016


I've known about Megalast lipsticks almost since I discovered the online beauty community. These have been popular for so many years and I've come close to ordering on many occasions, but stopped short every time. I finally had the chance to try these myself and I got six shades, which are a mix of the original selection and the updated one. 


Texture: I've heard good and bad things about these, but I did not expect them to be so good. They very, very thick, but still creamy enough and particularly the light shades apply evenly in one swipe. I keep them in a fairly warm room, so that might be the reason for their good performance and I've experienced no problems with any tugging or chalky-dry texture, so these work great for me. However, I finally had a chance to give it my friend to try, who is more sensitive to dry textures and she says these are so drying to her (it still applied smoothly. Shade Just Peachy by the way), so I can definitely see why some people describe them as dry. They are thick and don't have such a smooth feeling texture like Jordana's Matte lipsticks for example, so they end up being on the heavy side and slightly sticky on the lips. My lips are never dry and these are fine to me, but if you're concerned these will dry your lips, I suggest reading more reviews and then decide based on all different opinions. I should probably just stop assessing the dryness factor at lipsticks, since I started considering myself as a very wrong person to do it. The finish varies between the shades, but it's mostly satin or satin-matte with a slight creamy sheen. Purty Persimmon has the shiniest finish.


A lot of the shades are frequently compared to Mac colours and described as dupes. I have a very high standard of what constitutes a dupe, mainly because I am so pale that minor differences show up more on me and I don't think these are quite there, but they are very, very close. I have pictures with each shade on one half of the lips under individual reviews of the shades, but here are side by side swatches on my arm, which is approximately NC/W10.


 BARE IT ALL

Bare it All is a beige nude shade that is a alleged dupe for Mac's Velvet Teddy. I was concerned this will look brown on me, but it's very wearable and I think can pull it off just fine. It's not chalky-looking despite the fact it's light and it's creamy, so I can apply it in one swipe. Not mine comparison swatch with Velvet Teddy here.


JUST PEACHY

Just Peachy is a beautiful light peachy-pink shade. I was very worried about this one looking white-based orange, but it's seriously so pretty on the lips. It has just the right amount of pink and that is very rare when it comes to peachy-pinks. I assume that it will look more pink on medium skin tones, also more white-base-looking. I've worn this one most out of all and it wears off ok. It's doesn't leave a stain, but since it's a light shade, you can't really see that it fades uneven. 


PURTY PERSIMMON

Purty Persimmon is an orange red and a very similar shade to Mac's Lady Danger. I have the side by side comparison below. The formula is different than at others, but this is one of the shades that was added to the line later. It's sheerer and it has a more shiny finish, but it's easy to get a fully opaque coat of colour with a couple of layers. 


Purty Persimmon on the left and Lady Danger on the right. Purty Persimmon is sheerer, less pigmented and less matte, but they are close enough.

SUGAR PLUM FAIRY

Sugar Plum Fairy is a dark purple pink. It's probably the most known shade in the Megalast range, mostly due to being dubbed as "The" dupe for MAC's Rebel. I have a side by side comparison of both below. It's again very pigmented with a satin-matte finish and I don't find it drying, but I was once advised not to get this shade because it's super thick. While that is indeed the case, I don't find it hard to work with on me, but the application isn't as smooth as at other shades. This one leaves a very strong stain behind, which is the best I've seen in any product ever, as it's very even and fades nicely. This shade tends to look very different of various skin tones. On me it leans more strongly to purple, but I've seen it looking more pink on a lot of other people.  

Sugar Plum Fairy on the left and Rebel on the right. Sugar Plum Fairy is more purple and matte.

RAVIN' RAISIN

Ravin' Rasin is a medium cool greyish purple shade. I'm not feeling this one on me, it's simply too purple and draining grey, but I've seen swatches of some people on who this shade looked a lot more mauve-pink. 


 BLACK CHERRY

Cherry Bomb is a dark vampy burgundy red and very similar to Mac's Diva, only even a bit darker. If you're looking for a cheap vampy shade, look no further. 

Black Cherry on the left and Diva on the right. Black Cherry is darker, less red. 

Staying power: At the lightest two shades you can't really see that well how they wear off, but it's slightly patchy. No biggie, though. Dark shades leave an intense stain. Sugar Plum Fairy leaves a very intense and even stain, which looks very beautiful, but pretty much all such shades leave a stain, just like Rebel and its other supposed dupes.

Scent: These have not definitive scent. It looks like they just kept the original scent, which varies from shade to shade and not try to cover it up.


Packaging: If I thought the packaging of Jordana lipsticks was terrible, this is even worse. The cheap plastic that scratches very easily, the tightly closed cap that requires a lot of force for it to open, which in turn dents the lipstick since it doesn't go all the way into a tube. These are messy in no time. You'd think that after so many years on the market, they'd change them. 

Price and availability: Mine are from Click2Chic where they cost 2.99 € (I got them to swatch for their website). I think price is about the same at other places. Some Croatian DM's have these, but because the packaging of these lipsticks is so bad, the testers are very messy. For international readers, online I know of nonpareilboutique.com and Beautyjoint.com. 


Have a great day!

You Might Also Like

27 comments

  1. Sem zadnjič gledala odtenke, ko je bila akcija 2=3, ampak jih ni bilo toliko všečnih :D
    Imam pa samo en odtenek: Coral-ine in mi je obstojnost nora ! Nisem pa vedela, da jih imajo tudi v hrvaških dm-ih ... Letos grem verjetno nazaj v Split in upam, da najdem tam še kakšen odtenek :3 Jaz sem to šminko tam kupila v eni random Acessories trgovini :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Saj bi imeli več odtenkov, ampak ker je treba toliko kosov naročit, je to žal malo težje :).
      Samo v nekaterih DM-ih so, pa imajo bolj izropana stojala. Nekje bi moral biti seznam v katerih so. Odtenki so pa večinoma drugi, kot tile, če se prav spomnim, ampak je bilo že par let nazaj.

      Izbriši
  2. I must say your review is wonderful, it exactly mimics my thoughts but yes, I do have some contracts too. First of all, I was very much put off by these lipsticks because of the thick and drying texture. I don't really have dry lips but the waxiness of these really put me off. I have only tried the shade Wine Room and I am not much fan of that color. The packaging is terrible but I am still tempted to try Just Peachy and Bare It All, merely to see whether I can like them because these are tremendously hyped and compared with Mac lipsticks.

    Chaste & Beautiful

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Thank you :) I understand why you didn't like these. I don't see their thickness as a big deal, but they do lack that smoothness, which would make them perform better on dry lips. I think lighter shades are slightly smoother than darker ones, but still thick. There are a nice way to at least see if the shade that looks like Mac's suits you :)

      Izbriši
  3. odličen post, šminke so že nekaj časa meni zelo ljube. Odlična obstojnost in pigmentiranost.
    Pa fuul dobr za primerjave z mac-om. love it =)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. I love them, especially Sugar Plum Fairy :) Great quality for a low price (in Poland they cost around 2Euro) :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I love Just Peachy most :) Here they are more expensive, but it's still fine :)

      Izbriši
  5. Bare it All mi je všeč. Čeprav na tebi mi deluje bolj peachy kot Velevet Teddy. Velvet Teddy je na meni res precej temen in bolj rjavkast. Purty Persimmon itak da, ampak ga ne rabim imam Lady Danger :D. Čisto razumem zakaj je Sugar Plum Fairy tako popularna. Unikaten odtenek in noro izgleda. Paše ti :) <3 . Saj ti čisto vsi pašejo, razen Ravin Raisin. Ta mi sploh ni všeč. Nekako so mi čudni ti odtenki s sivimi podtoni. Se mi zdi, da to paše samo takim z ashy platinum odtenki las. Pa še te nič kaj ne poživi.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Ja, bolj na peachy že skoraj potegne na meni, čeprav je bolj bež. Isto pravzaprav kot tisti Essence svinčnik Into the Nude. Bi primerjala, pa si ga je že nekdo "sposodil za nedoločen čas" :D

      Meni pa Sugar Plum Fairy ne izgleda čisto nič posebnega. Mogoče zato ker imam že Rebel. Previjola mi je. Ampak hvala <3

      Ravin Raisin izgleda še slabše na meni v živo. Kot da vso barvo potegne z mojega obraza. Res je samo za take blondinke se mi zdi. Mogoče še za temnejše tene kože.

      Izbriši
  6. Sugar Plum Fairy mi izgleda čudovito :) Se mi zdi, da ti vsi odtenki pašejo!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Hvala :) Ravin Rasin mi edino nekako ne potegne.

      Izbriši
  7. Jaz imam samo Sugar Plum Fairy in mi je definitivno najbolj izsušujoča šminka v moji zbirki, pa ponavadi imam kar težave z nanosom, ker se mi zdi, da se mi kar vleče po ustnicah. Ne vem no, mogoče je moja čudna :D
    Bom pa zdaj verjetno Bare it All naročila, da vidim če mi bo všeč odtenek, ker me Velvet Teddy že nekaj časa mika :D

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Meni ni slaba. Je gosta, ampak jo brez problema nanesem, mi je pa jasno zakaj nekatere pravite, da je suha. Rebel je veliko, veliko mehkejša :)

      Za odtenek sprobat so te čisto dobre, tudi za tiste, ki imate suhe ustnice. Itak so dosti poceni :)

      Izbriši
  8. one of my favorite lipsticks in the entire world! These shades look beautiful on you :) I have so many! I love the formula and the price of these.

    Annie | DrugstoreDreamer


    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Thank you :) I wouldn't mind having a shade or two more, though from budget lipsticks I prefer Jordana's :)

      Izbriši
  9. Purely in terms of color Just Peachy and Bare It All are my two favorites!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I think Just Peachy is such a unique shade, it's rare to find a peachy shade that suits pale skins :)

      Izbriši
  10. I love the Wet n Wild lipsticks, Sugar Plum Fairy and Bare it all are my favourites, I cannot wait to buy more! It is amazing how nice all shades look on you, you have the perfect skin tone for every single colour! I agree with you, my least favourite is also Ravin' Rasin, I wouldn't purchase it for myself as it would wash my face out.

    Yiota x

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Thank you :) I can see now why people rave about Sugar Plum Fairy and Bare it all so much. Great colours :)

      Izbriši
  11. Great lipsticks, horrible packaging...and if you have shaky hands you're in so much trouble LOL

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  12. Waaaw, kako so čudovite! Samo embalaža je tko no.. cheap looking. :P

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Odtenki so res lepi, embalaža pa, ja, rabi en update :)

      Izbriši
  13. I love bare it all and just peachy. The shades are stunning.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  14. I have rosebud,in the flesh,wineroom,don't blink pink,smoking hot pink,cherry picking,mauve outta here,cinimon spice and I love all of them the shades are so unique the quality texture and performance is great and as well as longetivity. Expect from packing issue these are hits and I m planning to grab sugar plum fairy and cherry bomb also

    OdgovoriIzbriši

TRANSLATE